Tuesday, July 24, 2012

An Intern's Adventure: Brochure Distribution 2.0



For those avid readers out there, you may remember a post I made last summer about distributing our advertising materials in Sister Bay. Yesterday, I had the distinct pleasure of repeating the journey in Egg Harbor.

Last year’s adventure looked something like this:

This year, I was in Egg Harbor, which is an area we drive through all the time in order to get to our main spot in Door County: Ephraim. However, my family and myself don't normally spend a lot of time in Egg Harbor, so I am not that familiar with it. Also, it was approximately 700 degrees (C) outside, so I was slowly melting the entire time. I'd say this experience looked more like this:

 Or maybe...

But most definitely: 



Not that I actually got tremendously lost, which is saying something indeed. My mother kindly tells me that I "couldn't navigate my way out of a paper bag", which I'm sad to say, is mostly true. But, to be fair, I made the brilliant decision to take on the Egg Harbor Adventure at noon -- peak lunch time. And if you've ever been to Egg Harbor, you'd know that it is similar to the rest of Door County in that it is packed with delicious restaurants, all on super narrow roads with lots of foot traffic. Needless to describe further: it was a hot mess. 

Luckily for me, Egg Harbor is very well labeled. They have signs directing you to places of interest all of the place, which makes it very tourist friendly. However, these signs are really difficult to look at while you're trying to navigate traffic, parked cars, people, animals, children, heat stroke, dangerous beasts etc. 

Once I figured out roughly where I was going, I felt pretty well prepared to tackle the list of businesses to visit. One thing I was not prepared for though, was how many dining establishments don't actually open until 4/5 PM for dinner. This means, which did not really register to me at the time, that there would be no one to unlock doors or to receive my brochures. Parador (a new Spanish restaurant in town) happened to have their first door unlocked, so I could leave materials behind it. I was less lucky at the next stop...


I knew that Trio Restaurant was on a corner off Highway 42, so I headed in their direction. Along the way, I passed a bank and another shop I was supposed to stop at (darn it) but I parked behind Trio anyway. As I walking up the front door, a group of two guys and a lady were walking away from it. One of the men was blatantly checking me out, and I was so startled by his obvious staring that I didn't really register anything else about the situation. Upon reaching the front door, I realized not only were those people walking away because the Trio wasn't open yet, they had also failed to tell me this information. It wouldn't have been that much effort saved, but still....


I then decided to leave my car in the parking lot and walk to the businesses I had passed, rather than scope out another parking lot. Now, had it only 75 degrees outside, it would've been a nice walk down the hill. Since it was a million degrees, it was more like what the people above were experiencing. 


The last thing to report was that along this journey, I was startled by two different people. I have a tendency to get lost in my thoughts, and when I'm in a quiet place, any disturbance startles me. And I'm also one of those people, who when startled, literally jump in the air (thus my friends love watching scary movies with me...). Both times were occasions were the other person saw me, but I didn't realize they were there until I was practically on top of them, and then jumping out of my skin at their presence. Not necessarily the nicest interaction to have with a person...


Anyway....By the end of the day, I was exhausted and ready to return to the office. One of my last stops was the Wood Orchard Market, where I rewarded myself by buying a piece of their Orchard Medley Pie (my absolute favorite). Then I looked like this: 




1 comment:

  1. I just published an Electric Daisy Carnival Review on my site Travel Hymns. I love your content here and started following you, hope you follow or link back too! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete